- New C-Reach bridge unlocks voice control with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant
- Consumers can now dim their C by GE lights, turn them on and off and control them in a variety of ways, including away from home, with their voice or the C by GE app
- Additions follow GE’s launch of Sol, the first lighting product to integrate Amazon Alexa Voice Service into the device, with special pricing planned for Cyber Monday
CLEVELAND, Ohio – November 20, 2017 – GE is adding voice compatibility to its smart C by GE bulbs just in time for holiday gift giving. Voice compatibility with Amazon Alexa, available immediately, and the Google Assistant, available by year’s end, is made possible through a C by GE skill and the new, easy-to-operate C-Reach bridge. Together with the voice services, consumers can now turn on and off lights, dim them and control bulbs across the home individually or in groups with a simple voice command.
“Using voice to control lighting unlocks an entire new world of opportunities for consumers,” says Jeff Patton, GM Connected Home Product Management, GE Lighting. “Sitting on the couch hoping for a cozy experience for your favorite movie? Ask Alexa to dim the lights without getting up. Snuggled in bed with a book? Ask the Google Assistant to turn the lights off once you start to drift off. Away from home? Control lights remotely on the C by GE app. There are countless possibilities to add additional conveniences at home through these collaborations.”
Voice-compatible C by GE LED bulbs include:
- C-Sleep: Good sleep starts by creating the right environment, and GE engineers have studied lighting’s ability to do just that in the development of this bulb. C-Sleep helps reinforce the body’s natural rhythm and melatonin production to prepare for sleep and awaken more efficiently. A warm light is used to help increase melatonin before bed, while a cool, vibrant light helps produce energy in the morning. Adjust this as you go with your voice or in the app or schedule times based on your sleep habits for extra convenience. Available in a 60-watt equivalent, A19-shaped bulb.
- C-Life: You do different things throughout the day, so you need different kinds of light. C-Life makes it simple to get the optimal white light at every moment – all from one light bulb. These bulbs also can be set to scenes or schedules to sync with your habits and patterns at home. Available in a 60-watt equivalent, A19-shaped bulb or a 60-watt equivalent BR30 lamp for recessed lighting applications.
C-Reach and the C by GE bulbs will be available at Amazon.com by Cyber Monday. A starter kit with 2 C-Life bulbs and a C-Reach will be special priced for Cyber Monday on Amazon at $49.99. It will typically retail with an MSRP of $64.99. A starter kit with 2 C-Sleep bulbs and a C-Reach will be priced for Cyber Monday on Amazon at $64.99 vs. a MSRP of $84.99. Kits with BR30 C-Life bulbs also will be available.
Holiday Deals on Sol
The portfolio expansion follows GE’s recent launch of Sol, the first lighting product to integrate Amazon Alexa into the device, combining functional illumination, visual indicators for everyday tasks, sleep-based light and the skills you’d find in an Amazon Alexa product without the need for a stand-alone Alexa-device.
In addition to using Sol to order your dinner, listen to the latest headlines, play music or respond to a host of other Alexa voice commands, the LED lamp with microphones and a speaker can control Alexa-compatible products in your home. This includes the C by GE bulbs, in this case without needing C-Reach, as well as other connected light bulbs, thermostats and home appliances. It also can access more than 20,000 Alexa skills.
Sol will be special priced for Cyber Monday on Amazon.com at $99.99. Sol also will be available as part of a Cyber Monday bundle with a C by GE starter kit with four connected bulbs (a $75 value) at $119.99.
About C by GE
GE’s C by GE brand unleashes the ultimate living experience through a suite of connected products that enable homeowners to do more and be better. Part of the GE Lighting portfolio, C by GE products build on the company’s century of innovation, invention and imagination at work. Our deep understanding of the home and our expertise in the connectivity of things results in simple, connected designs to help people thrive.
GE (NYSE: GE) is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. GE is organized around a global exchange of knowledge, the "GE Store," through which each business shares and accesses the same technology, markets, structure and intellect. Each invention further fuels innovation and application across our industrial sectors. With people, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for customers by speaking the language of industry. www.ge.com