Lighting for Colleges and Universities
Jun 22-23, 2016
Cost: $400 1.0 CEU
Today's institutions of higher learning are facing cost pressures and are being called upon to demonstrate leadership in energy usage and environmental impact while reducing resources dedicated to lighting maintenance. At the same time, the need to maintain attractive-looking and functional facilities and to ensure safety and security on the campus require the exploration of the latest technology options, including LED systems and lighting controls. This course will address lighting solutions, based on the latest IES (Illuminating Engineering Society) recommendations, for classrooms, laboratories, corridors and lobbies, gymnasiums, dormitories, and back-of-house facilities, and outdoor lighting for safety and security. Comparisons of LED systems and controls vs. non-LED systems will be discussed. Participants will use software to analyze economic and environmental benefits of lighting upgrades. An introduction to the concepts of “intelligent environments” will be provided.
- Understand the elements of quality lighting design for key interior and exterior application areas in colleges and universities.
- Understand the role of LED technology vs. non-LED solutions in meeting energy, environmental and maintenance targets.
- Evaluate the performance of lighting solutions using lighting layout tools, and cost of light and environmental impact calculators.
- Understand compliance with lighting codes related to energy, safety, and the environment.
- Understand the importance of control strategies as a sustainable technology to balance proper light levels while achieving energy and cost effectiveness targets.
- Appreciate the advancements of intelligent environments, which are taking lighting infrastructure beyond efficiency measures to connected environments.
- College and university administrators and facility managers
- Architects, consulting engineers and lighting designers
- Distributors and agents
Course Starting/Concluding Times
The starting and concluding times for each course may vary, but the usual starting time each day is 8:00 a.m. with the bus departing from the hotel at approximately 7:30 a.m. The daily concluding time is 5:00 p.m. on full days of the course and between 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. on the last day. Please verify exact times before making your airline reservations by calling 1-800-255-1200.