Rules and Eligibility
*NEW with 2015 Program*
A majority of lighting products used on projects must be GE LED Lighting Products.
Congratulations to Claudio Ramos, Hiram Banks, Erin Sudderth, Matt Landl of BANKS|RAMOS Architectural Lighting Design (San Francisco, California, USA) for winning the 2014 GE Edison Award for lighting Square Inc. Headquarters in San Francisco, California, USA. A personalized Steuben crystal was presented by GE Lighting on May 4, 2015 in New York, New York, USA.
The 2015 GE Edison Award competition, sponsored by GE Lighting, is open to those lighting professionals who creatively employ significant use of GE LED Lighting Products, including LED systems, LED luminaires, LED architectural products, LED lamps and modules, and lighting controls (“GE LED Lighting products”) in a lighting design project completed during the 2014 and 2015 calendar years (from 01 January 2014 through 31 December 2015). Deadline for submissions is 18 January 2016 by 5:00 pm EST. Also required: a GE Photography Release Form complete with required signatures, which must be received for the entry to be considered complete for judging.
All entries should be submitted via our Web-based entry process (Submit a Project). Entries submitted in any other format may be rejected.
This competition is to find a work that makes significant and creative use of GE LED Lighting Products in the submitted project. While the lighting installation need not be achieved exclusively through the use of GE LED Lighting Products, the entry will be judged on the degree of achievement through the primary use of GE LED Lighting Products.
Each entry must contain the following:
- A GE Edison Award Entry Form (online entry) typed in English. Note: A Photography Release Form, complete with required signatures, also must be received via email (email@example.com) or uploaded as part of the entry submittal in order for the submittal to be considered complete.
- 700-character (maximum, including spaces) project overview describing the scope of the project.
- Up to ten (10) digital images of the completed installation. Image requirements and guidelines:
- Format: TIFF, PSD or JPEG (no text within image; TIFF format preferred)
- Camera Quality: 6 megapixels (minimum)
- Dimensions: Approximately 1200 x 1200 pixels (tallest or widest dimension should be at least 1200 pixels)
- Resolution: 300 dpi (minimum)
- Medium: Upload to Web-entry site
- Naming Convention: Must be named to identify the title of the project and then also numbered to agree with the keyed description. Example: cleveland001.tif, cleveland002.tif
Image quality is critical to the judging process. Avoid photographic fill light; however, if fill light is necessary, it must be clearly stated in the keyed description (#4 below). Images with daylighting and work that was not that of the submitting designer should also be identified clearly. Retouched or digitally-enhanced photographs are not allowed. There should be no text on images. Any post-production text should be removed or obscured.
Please refer to Submitting Images for additional details.
- A caption describing each image, clearly keyed to the respective project image. Captions should indicate references to specific light sources along with reasons for their selection and should describe the lighting system depicted in each photo by emphasizing the following judging criteria. GE Lighting Products featured in each image must be noted in the respective image caption. GE product descriptions will not go against the character-count limitation.
- Functional excellence (15 points)
- Architectural compatibility (15 points)
- Effective use of state-of-the-art lighting products and techniques (15 points)
- Appropriate color, form and texture revelation (15 points)
- Energy effectiveness (15 points)
- Cost effectiveness (15 points)
- Additional features (10 points)
- A credit line and signature for each photographer used for the submitted project images (see Entry Form). The credit line should comprise the photographer's preference in format and content, for the purpose of identifying that photographer's work in published materials. (Example: "ABC Photography, Ltd".) Each project image must include clear reference to the photographer who should be credited for taking that photograph.
- A lamp and/or fixture schedule detailing specific light source types and quantities.
- Optional: The following requirements apply only to projects submitted for an Award in Environmental Design: Any project submitted to the GE Edison Awards program may also be considered for an Award for Environmental Design. These designs, while providing high-quality lighting that meets the criteria mentioned in #4 above, should also demonstrate effective energy conservation, successfully integrate daylighting, ensure system durability and maintainability, control light pollution, or include other measures and innovative techniques and technologies that minimize impact on the environment. The following additional requirements apply:
- A separate, 1750-character (maximum, including spaces) project overview describing the challenges, needs and solutions relative to the environmental aspect of the project.
- Additional documentation, such as: energy code compliance forms, ENERGY STAR® building documentation, LEED® certification forms and utility program forms. For projects outside North America: documentation pertaining to building energy codes and relevant data from environmental or sustainable building design programs.
Entry submissions will become the property of GE and will not be returned.
Please refer to the full Terms and Conditions, Entry Form (Web-based), Submitting Images and Call for Entries.
ENERGY STAR® is a trademark of the U.S. EPA.
LEED® is a trademark of the U.S. Green Building Council.